A Global Organization on a Mission to End Human Trafficking
CHARLESTON, SC (FOX 24 NEWS NOW) — Human trafficking is a global epidemic impacting millions of men, women and children each year.
The problem is very real here in the Lowcountry, too. According to the 2017 South Carolina Human Trafficking Task Force annual report, Charleston County is ranked second in the top five known locations for this egregious practice in our state.
Just last year, 117 cases of human trafficking were reported in South Carolina.
The epidemic is fast-growing, and several organizations are working to combat it and free victims from their scarring bonds.
Global nonprofit A21 has a chapter right here in the Lowcountry — A Heart for Freedom — and they have two upcoming events you can get involved in to do your part.
Second Annual Fundraiser Breakfast
– Passage Apartment community in Summerville
– Saturday, Sept. 15
– 9 a.m. to noon
– tickets are $10 for adults
– tickets include bloody marys, coffee, a crepe bar, frittatas and more
– 100% of the proceeds go directly to A21
A21 Heart for Freedom 5K walk/run
– Saturday, Sept. 29
– begins at 9 a.m. in Summerville
– various local vendors will be selling food and merchandise at the race conclusion
– live music
– tickets are $25/person
– $20/person for group pricing
To learn more or purchase tickets, please click here.