Historic Mitchelville Preservation Hosts Annual Juneteenth Celebration
HILTON HEAD, SC (FOX 24 NEWS NOW) — In June of 1865, African-American slaves were emancipated across the Confederacy, establishing an annual celebration we know as ‘Juneteenth,’ or ‘Freedom Day.’
The celebration will be held on the picturesque island of Hilton Head on Saturday, June 16th from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
The event will feature:
– historical reenactments
– a main stage performance by Billboard chart-topping band, Ranky Tanky
– a special children’s play area
– a showing of ‘language you cry in’
– a traditional drum call and ceremony
– community fish-fry
– a soul-stirring performance by Marlena Smalls and the Hallelujah Singers
Reenactments at the homestead and praise house will celebrate the historical significance of the Mitchelville story as part of the National African American Freedom Story.
This celebration will highlight the art, food and music customs of the people of Mitchelville.
Admission is $10 while children 12 and under are free.