Hurricane Preparedness Week: Preparing Your Home for Storm Season
CHARLESTON, SC (FOX 24 NEWS NOW) — May 6th – 12th marks National Hurricane Preparedness Week — and it makes complete sense as Hurricane Season begins on June 1st.
Experts agree this is the perfect time to create a plan and ensure your family knows just what to do when an emergency strikes.
We spoke to Cuthbert Langley, Director of Communications for the American Red Cross Palmetto SC Region, who shared some important tips on how to prepare for the worst.
From building an emergency supply kit, learning how to evacuate quickly and how to find a local emergency shelter, follow these tips to prepare your home and family before the next storm approaches our coast.
Tips on preparing before the storm:
– listen to local area radio, NOAA radio or tv stations.
– be prepared to evacuate quickly.
– know your routes and destinations.
– find a local emergency shelter.
– check your emergency kit and replenish any necessary items, especially medications.
Safety during a hurricane:
– stay indoors.
– don’t walk on beaches, riverbanks or in floodwaters.
– use flashlights in the dark if the power goes out (do not use candles).
– continue to listen to local radio.
– avoid contact with floodwaters.
– turn off the power and water mains if instructed to do so by local authorities.
– don’t walk, swim or drive through floodwaters.
– if caught on a flooded road, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground.
– don’t allow children to play near floodwater.
– stay out of areas subject to flooding.
Safety after a hurricane:
– let friends and family know you’re safe.
– if evacuated, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
– continue listening to local news.
– stay alert for extended rainfall and subsequent flooding.
What to keep in your emergency kit:
– battery-powered or hand-crank radio
– extra batteries
– first aid kit
– multi-purpose tool
– sanitation and personal hygiene items
– copies of personal documents
– cell phone with chargers
– family and emergency contact information
– extra cash
– emergency blanket
– maps of the area