Building a Hurricane Kit on a Budget
CHARLESTON, SC (WTAT-TV) — As we enter peak hurricane season, it is important to make sure that you have a solid hurricane plan. You should know where to go to evacuate, how to stay safe during a hurricane, contact a company like Water Damage and Roofing Austin after the storm to fix any damage and have a well-stocked hurricane kit on hand.
Pre-planning is key because it will leave you more time to prepare your home, review plans and avoid price gouging and panic at the grocery store.
But building a storm supply kit doesn’t need to break the bank. We’ll show you how to build a hurricane kit on a budget ahead of any storm that may threaten our coastline.
1. Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
2. Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
3. Packaged Juices – Cans or Cartons
4. Baby Food and Baby Formula
5. Baby Diapers and Wet Wipes
6. Pet Food
7. Battery-powered / hand crank radio or NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both.
9. First aid kit. Additionally, making a start to learn basic first aid skills just by searching First aid in London (or somewhere local to you), this shows that you are serious about having this knowledge under your belt and knowing that you’d be confident in helping save a life.
21. Tarp with tie-downs
FOX 24 meteorologist Chris Nestman was able to complete his hurricane preparedness list for just over $100.
If a storm does threaten our area this hurricane season, we have a complete guide to help you before, during and after the storm including evacuation maps and more.