DHEC Confirms Ten Cases of Stomach Virus Linked to Summerville Restaurant

December 6, 2018, 9:26 am EST | Share:

SUMMERVILLE, SC (CAROLINE BALCHUNAS) – La Correta of Summerville has closed its doors due to at least ten customers contracting a stomach virus last week.

Amber Widener, a loyal customer for seventeen years, says that she, accompanied by a few friends, ate at the Mexican restaurant last Friday night. Twenty-four hours later she and a couple of others spend most all of Saturday night being violently ill. “I don’t wish it on my worst enemy,” Widener told FOX 24 reporter, Caroline Balchunas. There was Facebook thread of fellow neighbors that claimed the same thing happened to them.

DHEC officials confirmed ten reported cases of the illness and made an onsite visit on Monday, December 3rd. They do not believe that the illness is caused by food poisoning, instead believe that it is a gastrointestinal virus.

A manager of La Correta stated that an employee also became ill and that the restaurant is taking this very seriously, working with DHEC to correct any issues.